Are whirlpool baths safe for children?
Whirlpool baths are safe for children as long as a safety cut off valve is fitted. This ensures no body parts will be held against the suction cover when the pump is switched on. At Luna Spas we take safty very seriously and as such fit safe-flow technology to all our baths. This can sometime be referred to a child safety suction filter.
- 1. What makes Luna Spas systems the safest available?
We fit Safe-Flow technology to all our whirlpool bath systems (Quantum, Super Lux and Tranquility), we think it's essential for both safety and longevity. We do not recommend installing or using a whirlpool bath that doesn't have this fitted. The Safe-Flow suction prevents both body and hair entrapment by using a unique sensing device that introduces air into the pump, stopping the suction pressure within seconds of being activated.
- 2. How a Safe-Flow Suction WorksBelow we will detail, how the Safe-Flow suction works by discussing the following 4 steps:
- Where the safety valve is fitted.
- How the safety valve works.
- What happens when an obstruction comes in contact with the suction cover?
- How the obstruction becomes easy to remove.
- 3. Step 1 - Fitament
The suction assembly is mounted as shown above. A 5mm tube connects to a safety valve mounted up close to the underside of the bath flange.
- 4. Step 2 - How the safety valve works
When the bath is filled with water, the 5mm connecting tube also fills with water. The safety valve prevents the water from spilling out the top of the tube should the bath be overfilled.
- 5. Step 3 - What happens when an obstruction comes in contact with the suction cover?
When the pump is running and long hair or an obstruction comes in near contact with the suction cover, it is drawn towards the centre of the cover, restricting the small safety sensing hole in the centre.
- 6. Step 4 - How the obstruction becomes easy to remove
When this hole becomes restricted, a venturi effect is created within the suction elbow, creating suction down the 5mm tube.
Air is quickly drawn into the suction line causing the pump to activate and stop pumping, allowing the hair to be easily pulled away.
Once clear, the air stops getting drawn into the pump allowing the flow to start up again.